Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Some Random Thoughts . . .

So I was thinking the other day, and this might sound random, about all of the things that I love about life. How much I enjoy being a mom, a wife, a passionate person who finds excitement in all kinds of things! The list goes on and on. I was thinking about all of the things that define me as a person. And all of the things I love or love to do. The first things on the list would be music and cooking. I love singing, although I am the last person to ever volunteer to sing for things. It’s not because I don’t want to, but I’ve never been the kind of person to be overly confident in that area. I think I just don’t want to come off being cocky like I think I am so good and really I’m not that good. I know it sounds silly but I know some people who are way over confident.

I also love teaching my kids how to play the piano. Well I call them my kids but really they aren’t mine, they’ve just been mine to teach. It has been so much fun for the past 2 years or so watching them learn and grow tremendously. I have one little boy who’s 5 playing Fur Elise and anything else he can get his hands on. He is not the only one though; there are several kids who are so talented it’s ridiculous! After like six months of lessons they are up at level 3 and 4 and playing moonlight sonata (slightly simpler versions) but still! Right now is the best time teaching too because a lot of the kids are getting past just the basic books and into more of the popular classical songs they are excited about learning. My whole philosophy on teaching is being professional yet warm and lots of positive encouragement goes a long way too.

I have my piano teacher to thank for all I know in piano, although, my teaching style is very different than what I was taught with. I can remember crying after lessons because I was so frustrated when I was young because my teacher was very strict and professional. She was very serious about practicing and getting things right! But what I love doing with my kids is every lesson after music and theory is spending 5 or 10 minutes on composition, just giving them time and helping them write what they want to write. It makes them enjoy music a little more because they are putting themselves in it.

I am determined to finish my cooking degree. Hopefully I can get the paperwork together and get going again this fall with it. I am supposed to be meeting with an advisor to outline the last 2 or 3 semesters of my degree. One thing I’ve realized about me is that I love cooking if I don’t have to do it. I mean I still cook for dinner because I know we need to eat, but I guess what I mean is if there’s not a time crunch or something has to be done because someone is coming over, that is when I really love to cook! When there is time to experiment and be creative. I’ve learned a lot about being punctual too though and cleaning up as I go. I wouldn’t choose to go and be on the show “Chopped” or anything by any means, but I learned a lot of the positive things I incorporate now from cooking school.

Another thing I love is being active, athletic, outdoors. These are all things that define me. I feel so good when I am in good enough shape to do the activities I want to do. And you could say I’m very passionate about it. I think camping and hiking and any outdoor activities are the best memories I have from my life and I really feel good making new memories with my family now while being physically active.

Beauty is another big part of what I enjoy. I love getting dressed up and decked out for things. I think it’s fun sometimes! Of course I lounge in my pajamas some days and do nothing with myself, but I do love make-up, hair styling, high heels, the whole jazz. I always thought it would be fun to be a model. That is if it weren’t for the liberal loose world we are in right now. I used to love watching America’s Next Top Model and thought, besides the drama in that show, how much fun that would be to see where I could go with it. I know it’s silly, right!

Being a mom definitely defines me at this stage in my life where the diaper bag is my purse, my hair may have some food crustiness in it if you look close, I’m cleaning up the house 20 zillion times a day and trying to juggle cooking and laundry with snuggling a baby who’s teething and comforting a 3 year old who scraped his knee jumping off of things. As crazy as this all sounds, I love it, I embrace it and I totally want more of it! I love being called mama and mommy and mom all day long and peeking in on my sleeping babies at night before I go to sleep. My children are my whole world! If I can nurture and teach them right, then nothing else I’ve accomplished or will accomplish will every compare to that.

I love writing, as if you couldn’t already tell, lol. Something I haven’t done yet but have always wanted to do is write a book. I don’t know exactly what it would be about, but there are a lot of things I have passionate opinions about and could see myself writing about. When I was little I wrote a story about a girl who got lost and separated from her family and they were in a snowstorm, I don’t remember all of it, there was a happy ending, but I felt so proud of myself and got totally lost in writing it. I started writing other little novels and I wrote a whole book of poems, as I got older. I loved all of my English classes in college and always got A’s. I feel like I’ve always expressed myself better on paper and can usually get everything to make a lot of sense when I write.

The gospel is definitely a huge part of my life. A couple weeks ago in church, there was a talk given about bridling your passions. The gentlemen spoke about how people are often trying to prove something by being rude or defiant to get something they feel they deserve. He mentioned how people are rude to customer service because the company messed something up or they are arguing their point until they become very angry and then are so proud they proved their point and got what they wanted or deserved. He related it to the scripture about bridling your passions so you will be filled with love. It made me realize that a lot of things we are found guilty of on a day-to-day basis are the opposite of being Christ like and it made me take a closer look at some of the things I do. I have also being more aware of how I talk to others and more importantly about other people. I started being more aware of other people’s feelings and putting myself in their shoes more instead of just judging them for what I see. I love the gospel for the person it helps me to be. And for all of the things in my life that are filled with happiness because of it.

My marriage is what lifts me up and makes life so good for me. Being married to Brad and having his constant encouragement and love that lets me find my wings in all of the little things I pursue makes me so happy. I know everyone already thinks we are corny in love and act like we’re still in high school or something, but why not be silly and laugh a little and have fun. Life is fun when you’re in love and being married to the person you love is really the best thing in the world. So I guess you could say my happy marriage is the reason for the smile on my face always.

I’m glad for all of these things I get to experience in life and for all the things that make me who I am. Hope you enjoyed learning a little more about me.

No comments: