Tuesday, November 2, 2010

School

So far this semester, I have been enjoying school quite a bit. My american regional class ended a couple of weeks ago and now I am taking a class that prepares me for garde manger class coming up next semester. During lecture time we learn about different aspects of catering. Getting a catering business going, food, licensing, etc. and then in the lab portion we are given 3 or 4 items and have to use different ideas and techniques to make them presentable.

So the first day I walk in, the Chef told everyone to shuck some oysters and clams, prepare artichokes in several different varieties of cuts and filings, prepare a stir-fry and make crab cakes. This all sounded great until I realized these were all things that needed fillings or sauces and there were no recipes and we only had an hour and a half to prepare and present everything. So I had to rely on my brain and taste buds to come up with something good. Ahhh!

It is actually turning out to be a very great class for me, I just sometimes have a hard time thinking outside the box and going off of my head for Ideas to throw together into something that will look and taste good. Unless it is something I make a lot or am really familiar with, like baking.

This was my end result to be displayed today, I thought everything looked pretty and I had fun with it too.




 FYI, the flower on the plate is made out of tomato skin!

2 comments:

AdaMandy said...

Were willing to sample. :)

Crystal said...

That is way cool, Tirza! I love the tomato skin rose. So deliciously beautiful!